King Charles spoke publicly for the first time after Buckingham Palace revealed on Monday that the king had begun treatment for cancer.
“I would like to express my deepest gratitude for the many messages of support and well wishes I have received in recent days,” Charles said in what the palace called a “message of thanks” released on Saturday.
“As anyone affected by cancer knows, such kind thoughts are the greatest comfort and encouragement,” said Raja, adding that it was “equally heartening to hear how sharing my diagnosis has helped increase public understanding and shine a light on society. highlighting the work of all organizations supporting cancer patients and their families in the UK and the wider world.”
“My lifelong admiration for their tireless care and dedication is magnified by my personal experience,” the king said.
In a statement revealing the King’s cancer diagnosis earlier this week, the palace did not specify the type of cancer Charles had or its severity.
“During a recent procedure the King underwent in hospital for a benign prostate enlargement, there was a separate issue of concern,” the palace said in a statement shared with Talk News at the time, adding, “Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer.”King Charles III, with Queen Camilla, leaving The London Clinic on January 29 in London. King received treatment for an enlarged prostate, spending three nights at the clinic.
Karwai Tang via Getty Images
“His Majesty has today begun a routine treatment schedule, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public duties,” the palace said, although he “will continue to carry out state and official business as usual.”
The palace stressed that Charles, 75, “remains positive about the treatment he has received and looks forward to returning to public duties as soon as possible.”
Charles underwent surgery on January 26, after the palace announced that month that he was seeking “treatment for an enlarged prostate.” He was released from the hospital three days later.